What’s the first thing you do when you need to hire someone? You might see if word of mouth can get you a few applicants, but if that doesn’t do the trick, you probably say, “Let’s put an ad in the paper.” In my experience, you either get a bunch of people applying that aren’t exactly right for the job, or you get none at all.
So, who is looking at the newspaper help wanted section? It’s people who are either unemployed already or that are really “fed up” with their current employer. And a lot of those people who used to look at the newspaper for jobs are now doing it online.
I’m going to offer a better solution. Radio.
- Statistics say that about 60% of people would consider making a switch for the right “offer”. (But most of those aren’t actively looking yet. Radio can talk to those people.)
- Radio gives you the chance to really tailor your ad in a manner that lets people know exactly who you’re looking for, and exactly who you’re NOT looking for.
- Since you’d rather hire someone who already has a job (you know they’re “employable”), radio reaches those people already working, but not actively looking.
- A good Help Wanted radio ad can help shine a light on your company in a manner that a Print ad cannot. You’re using the spoken word. You’re adding EMOTION to your ad.
- And one of the most overlooked reasons is that friends and family members of your “target” can hear the ad, too! Especially spouses. They hear an ad, and then tell their spouse about your company, and that maybe they should check into the opportunity you were talking about on the RADIO. (We see as much as 50% of Radio Help Wanted success comes from friends or family telling someone about your opportunity.) These are people that definitely wouldn’t be looking in the newspaper OR online to find a job for someone else.
Why radio for Help Wanted? Because we can close our eyes, but we can’t close our ears. Which means you get to reach people and affect people that aren’t actively looking for a new job. You can attract those really great employees that hear your ad…and say to themselves, “That’s worth looking into!”
Let me know when you need to hire. Radio can bring you applicants you wouldn’t normally get. AND it can also reduce the number of bad applicants you normally get. Which saves you time and money in the interviewing process, PLUS what about the wasted training, time, and money put into that person that quit after only working 2 weeks? Before you automatically buy an ad in the newspaper, I’d like you to consider Radio. Give me a call and we can talk about it. I’ve got a lot of experience in Help Wanted radio ad writing… which has resulted in attracting better applicants for local businesses that are tired of “so-so” or non-existent results.
Have a great day!
Duane Christensen 605-940-7984
Results Radio Townsquare Media – Marketing Strategist
Sioux Falls Radio Advertising blog
I’m a marketing guy, ad writer, and business grower at Results Radio Townsquare Media in Sioux Falls. I’m on a mission to help local businesses get more from their advertising bucks. I also wrote a a no-nonsense book about how to take a bigger slice of market share with better advertising. It’s available as an e-book on Amazon. It’s called “Take a Bigger Slice”.