Why local radio advertising can work so well. And will continue to…
I asked the finance guy at Papik Motors in Luverne a while back if he thought Radio was going to be extinct in 10 or 20 years.
He said, “No way! There will always be a big group of people who want to hear their local stuff.”
Which is how I feel as well.
A lot of people listen to local radio. Satellite and online radio account for a very small percentage. Actually, AM/FM radio is listened to about 4 and half times MORE than online radio. There are many reasons why people love local radio. Here are MY reasons….
- To keep up on new songs that are heard on the radio first.
- Local news and different perspectives of local news.
- Witty commentary on local sports and local sports issues.
- It’s easily accessible to me. When I hop in my car…it’s ON. When I’m at home on the weekends and want a “mood lifter”…I just push a button.
- Variety. I have an iPod. I have access to iTunes on my phone. I listen to Pandora once in a while. But the radio plays music that I haven’t heard in a while…but still like a lot. Songs that I’ve forgotten about. Plus all the new stuff, too. Unless you’re one of those weirdos who ONLY listens to 80s music. Ewwwwwww. I kid. But not really. : )
So, anyway, if you’re wondering whether people still listen, the answer is Yes. And they will for a very long time. As long as radio station owners adapt and invest and understand that a LIVE and LOCAL, entertaining DJ is a powerful thing (like mine at Townsquare Media do!), then Local Radio will continue to keep its listeners.
Sorry that I didn’t add pics of all of our live and local radio talent. But you can find them and other station info HERE.
Have a great day!
Results Radio Townsquare Media – Sioux Falls